Raise Your Glasses

Here's to the people who frequent places in need of a pick-me-up, a shot of espresso, cup of joe on the go, or lounging with someone they know. This is for the pretentious types & beggars alike; the tired, the weary, those desperately studying, & everyone else in between. Here's to the readers, the dreamers, roamers, loners, crazy characters, passerby's, & regulars. Here's to a comfy couch, a mellow musical mix, a crafty corner dimly lit, warm smells, unexpected spectacles, & baristas themselves. Here's to the peaceful existence between dark roasts, vanilla lattes, half & half cream, or foreign born beans; a true house blend all sipping together under one unified roof or outdoor spot, & the pure essence of the Americano melting pot. Here's to all of those who are continually stirring the coffee culture.


Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What's With These People?

The move from Austin to San Diego went swimmingly. I'm staying three blocks from the beach, have made friends with a neighborhood grocer that has a fantastic little wine selection, and recently found the perfect coffee shop, along with bars, sushi, and taco stands.

I have a few glasses of wine before I tuck myself into my sleeping bag around 11 PM at night. The doors are left open every evening, and I rise to cool Pacific breezes sometime between 7-8:30 AM every morning. After a bowl of oatmeal and a granny smith apple I walk to the beach, and take my place in the waters of a cliff lined coast. After I kick the shit out of some mediocre waves I head back for a shower and a sandwich before cruising over to the little coffee shop I was talking about to hopefully finish the next book sometime in this decade.

Don't get me wrong, it's perfect, with hardwood floors, nice artwork, friendly patrons and open windows, it's just that people aren't weird here at all. So far they all do what normal people are supposed to do at cafes: read, work, and sip on hot drinks, all while showing totally acceptable forms of behavior and polite banter. I don't get it. I'll keep my eye out, and all of you posted though for any damn-the-man anarchy speeches, or a stick-up, or something, but so far everyone seems content with riding their bikes everywhere and the sunny 70 degree year round weather. Whatever. To these un-bizarre beans: you don't know who you are, yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment