He came in and asked for a large cappuccino. Right away this order didn't seem to make sense. While there are many different definitions of a cappuccino, it is traditionally known as a drink of modest proportions made in thirds (1/3 espresso, 1/3 milk and 1/3 foam) and served in a smaller cup or mug on saucer. Being that all of our large drinks are served in a 20 oz cup with an additional shot on top of the two that we always start out with, I had to fill the other 17-18 oz left in the cup with equal parts milk and foam.
The man was upset with his immodest proportions when he took a sip and complained. Here is when we both inadvertently learned an important life lesson:
-Sir, this isn't what I ordered. There's too much foam.
-No, that is what you ordered, but maybe you wanted a latte. Lattes have mostly a sweeter mixture of steamed milk with a much smaller portion of a little foam on top.
-Yeah, that's what I want. Can I get one of those instead.
-Sure. That'll be $4.13.
-What!? I don't want two drinks! I just want the drink I originally wanted!
-Well, you have to tip at least a dollar to get a mind reading. [I could tell he didn't like this line and quickly switched gears.] Sir, I get that the cappuccino is not what you originally had in mind, but our company can't take the hit for our customers' mistakes. You have to know what you want to get what you want...
The last statement definitely took hold of both of us as we looked at each other bewildered with equal parts irritation and insight. Not another word was spoken as we both mulled everything over. The mind reading was taking place. We were both thinking: "You have to first know what you want in all walks of life to get what you want. Ain't that the damnedest thought to come from a coffee shop." To this bizarre bean who will probably never get a coffee drink order wrong ever again: you know who you are...
No comments:
Post a Comment