Raise Your Glasses
Here's to the people who frequent places in need of a pick-me-up, a shot of espresso, cup of joe on the go, or lounging with someone they know. This is for the pretentious types & beggars alike; the tired, the weary, those desperately studying, & everyone else in between. Here's to the readers, the dreamers, roamers, loners, crazy characters, passerby's, & regulars. Here's to a comfy couch, a mellow musical mix, a crafty corner dimly lit, warm smells, unexpected spectacles, & baristas themselves. Here's to the peaceful existence between dark roasts, vanilla lattes, half & half cream, or foreign born beans; a true house blend all sipping together under one unified roof or outdoor spot, & the pure essence of the Americano melting pot. Here's to all of those who are continually stirring the coffee culture.
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Bad Night
Did her anger have something to do with the shift itself? I don't know if this lady was new and hated the shift, or if she was a veteran, and pissed that a newbie got better hours. We do a lot of food orders also at our shop with many big tabs, and I have to avoid taking it personal if people consistently don't tip me, but still wonder if I just have a controversial face. It couldn't be that. I smile a lot, and she is scowling at everyone who comes in, and still has a full tip jar. No, it couldn't be that.
I sat down, began writing with headphones on and some music playing, but still heard the shrieking, "EXCUSE ME!" go reverberating through the room. I don't frighten easily, but something about her tone/volume caught me off guard, and damn near made me shat my pants. When everyone had tried to tuck their heads in like turtles and turned around she continued, "If you are driving a white Honda CRV, you're blocking someone in and need to MOVE!!!" Holy crap. I drive a white mid size SUV. It's not a Honda, but it's white. Could it possibly be mine? I didn't even park in the lot and was still terrified. I felt the worst for the guy who had to ask her to make the announcement. He was standing there looking close to embarrassment and sucking his own thumb to make everyone stop staring at him for turning her lose on us all, instead of the one bastard who knowingly did this. A couple of minutes went by. Standard procedure. Let the eyes subside, and calmly slip out the door after the rest of us went back to our business. I know I went right back to my book, putting on a happy song, and not wanting to see someone get their head ripped off. Then it happened again, but with added wrath. "EXCUSE MEEE!!!!!!!!! If you're driving a WHITE [gasp for breath] HONDA C.R.V. move your CARRRR!!!!" It was enough to make us all want to go check what we were driving, but again, no one got up. Soon there after, she left, along with most of the others, and a lady with a kind sweet demeanor took over the grave yard shift.
To this bizarre bean who scared the buhjeebus out of me: you know who you are.
Whoa. Glad I wasn't there. It would have probably been mine!
ReplyDelete